This delicious gluten free cornmeal ciambella is so light and soft. It is made with organic stone ground cormeal flour from maize and brown rice flour. These gluten free, unrefined flours are so flavorful and nutritious.
There are different varieties of corn flour, depending on the grinding. The most popular variety is that for instant polenta. It is a pre-cooked flour that does not need to incorporate water for many hours as it does for ground flour. Fine-grained corn flour is ideal for cakes and cookies/ biscuits.
Cornmeal and rice flour are precious allies for those suffering from gluten intolerance and for those who prefer light and digestible sweets. Cashew milk gives a particularly soft and moist texture to this cake.
Perfect for the soaking in milk or with tea, this cake can be also stuffed with a creamy homemade strawberry jam.
Gluten free cornmeal ciambella: Ingredients
For the homemade strawberry jam
500 g (14 oz)strawberries
250 (9 oz) coconut sugar
The juice of one lemon
For the cake
3 organic free range eggs
80 g (3 oz) coconut sugar
100 ml (3½ fl oz) milk (or other plant based milk)
80 ml (3 fl oz) high oleic sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla powder
200 g (7 oz) stone ground cornflour/cormeal, sifted
150 g (5 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
Gluten free cornmeal ciambella: Method
- Wash the strawberries and cook with the sugar and lemon juice for about 20 minutes. Mix the jam with a hand blender. Leave to stand at room temperature.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with coconut sugar, cashew milk, sunflower oil and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix the flours with the baking powder.
- Pour the dry ingredients into liquid ones little by little and mix quickly.
- Pour the dough into a mold and bake at 180°C (350°F/Gas 4), for 35 minutes.
- If desired, stuff the cake with strawberry jam.