Amaretti carrot cake mixes tradition and innovation.
Freshly grated carrots, corn flour (cornmeal), rice and almonds flours are the basic ingredients of this soft and very fragrant dairy free cake. The Amaretti (typical Italian almonds cookies-biscuits) match perfectly with the carrots, exalting their flavor and, containing sugar themselves, allow to sweeten this cake with just a spoon of date syrup.
Amaretti carrot cake: Ingredients
100 g (3½ oz) Amaretti
3 organic carrots (4, if small)
80 ml (3 fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil
3 free range organic eggs
Pinch of sea salt
1 tbsp dates syrup
100 g (3½ oz) corn flour (cornmeal), sifted
150 g (5 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
50 g (2 oz) almonds flour
1 tsp organic baking powder
2 tbsp almonds flakes
Amaretti carrot cake: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180° (350°F/Gas 4).
- In a mixer, blend the almonds for a few seconds. Wash, squeeze the carrots and chop them in the mixer, too. Once chopped, squeeze them well to eliminate the excess moisture.
- Beat the eggs with the salt and the date syrup.
- Add the sifted flours with baking powder. Add the amaretti and carrots. Mix well and pour the dough into a mold (28 cm), covered with baking paper. Add the almonds flakes.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.