Apple upside down small cake is a rustic sweet. It needs only a few ingredients but all are good quality.
My twist are rice flour and buckwheat flour, naturally gluten free, rich in nutrients and healthy. The sweetness and lightness of the rice flour, combined with the flavor of buckwheat flour, gives this eggs-free cake a smooth texture and a mild flavor. Perfect to be served as a dessert.
Apple upside down small cake: Ingredients
500 g (17 oz) granny smith apples
1 lemon juice
50 g (2 oz) high quality butter
50 g (2 oz) raw sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
200 g (7 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
50 g (2 oz) buckwheat flour, sifted
1 tsp organic baking powder
Pinch of sea salt
200 ml (7 fl oz) organic rice milk at room temperature
Apple upside down small cake: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Wash and dice the apples and drizzle with the lemon juice. Arrange the apples on the bottom of a muffin pan greased with butter.
- Mix together sugar and ground cinnamon and pour over the apples.
- Mix the sifted flour, baking powder, a pinch of sea salt and the rice milk at room temperature, until the mixture is soft (if necessary, add more milk at room temperature).
- Pour the batter over the apple mixture in the oiled and floured muffin molds. Bake for 30 minute.