Amarena cherry gluten free cake is a moist, healthy cake, perfect for soaking.
Amarena cherries are beautiful quality Italian cherries, ideal for preparing delicious desserts. They contain a good amount of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, useful for strengthening the immune system. Anthocyanins and quercetin, present in these fruits, are useful for keeping blood cholesterol levels stable. When not in season, they are also available in syrup, which can be found in all good Italian specialty shops. Fruit is an excellent natural sweetener, and for this recipe especially, I don’t usually add sweeteners because the Amarena syrup is particularly sweet.
The softness of this gluten-free cake, due to the juice released from cherries, is unique.
Amarena cherry gluten free cake: Ingredients
80 ml (3 oz) extra virgin olive oil (or 100 ml (3½ fl oz) organic cold-pressed sunflower oil)
2 tbsp plain yogurt
2 large free range organic eggs
Pinch of sea salt
200 g (7 oz) toasted almond flour
200 g (7 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
1 tbsp organic baking powder
300 g (10½ oz) pitted Amarena cherries with their syrup
Amarena cherry gluten free cake: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Mix the oil with the yogurt. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition and a pinch of salt. Combine the flours and baking powder, stirring just enough to mix.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff and add to the mixture, stirring from the bottom up.
- Drain the cherries, pour the syrup in the dough and set the cherries aside.
- Pour the batter into a cake pan, lined with parchment paper. Place the cherries on the top of the cake (they will naturally drop inside the cake), pressing lightly.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes.