Caprese choco coconut cake, a delicious specialty from Capri Island (Southern Italy), is a invigorating sweet with few but high-quality ingredients. The sweetness of the chocolate makes the cake perfect in taste. My twist is a greedy chocolate glaze and the replacement of hazelnuts, typical of the original recipe, with almonds.
Coconut flakes, sprinkled on the top of the cake when the chocolate icing is still warm, give off an unmistakable aroma that gives a touch of freshness, as well as color.
Caprese choco coconut cake: Ingredients
For the cake
150 g (5 oz) raw dark chocolate, 70%
50 g (2 0z) raw dark chocolate, 60%
150 g (5 oz) chopped whole almonds
1 tsp organic baking powder (organic means no dry chemical baking powder and aluminum free)
3 large organic free range eggs
For the glaze+decoration
150 (5 oz) raw dark chocolate, 70%
2 tbsp coconut flakes
1 tbsp coarsely chopped whole almonds
Caprese choco coconut cake: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F/Gas 4).
- In a thick-bottomed saucepan melt the chocolate. Once warmed, pour the chocolate mixture into a bowl, add the finely chopped almonds and baking powder.
- Add one egg yolk at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and stir into the dough from the bottom up.
- Pour the mixture into a mold, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 35 minutes.