Chocolate Glazed Carrot Cake is a soft, moist cake with a delicate flavor. Ideal for dipping in milk, it is perfect also as a dessert after a light meal. In this gluten free recipe, pistachio is the ingredient that makes the difference.
Chocolate Glazed Carrot Cake: Ingredients
100 g (3½ oz) pistachios
50 g (2 oz) toasted whole almonds
80 g (2 ¾ oz) dark brown sugar
Pinch of sea salt
1 organic free range egg
150 g (5 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
15 g (½ oz) organic baking powder
100 g (3½ oz) 80% dark chocolate
1 orange zest
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Chocolate Glazed Carrot Cake: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Lightly grease and line a 22 cm (81/2 inch) springform tin with baking paper.
- In a blender, process the pistachios and almonds with the sugar and set aside.
- Peel and grate the carrots and mix with a pinch of salt. Add the egg, flour and baking powder and mix quickly. Add to the pistachio and almond mixture.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin. Bake for 40 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler and add the orange zest.
- When the cake is still warm, pour the chocolate glaze over and sprinkle with the sliced almonds.