Eggplant cutlets are a triumph and favourite ingredient of Italian cuisine. Fried or baked, there are dozens of recipes that you can prepare while they are in season.
Eggplant cutlets are a very simple idea for a delicious side dish but is also an excellent solution for filling sandwiches. Baked and breaded, the eggplant is beautiful when served with bright tomatoes and fresh basil.
Eggplant cutlets: Ingredients
Makes about 15 cutlets
2 large organic eggplants (aubergines), sliced
Pinch of sea salt
100 g (31/2 oz) brown rice flour
1 large egg
100 g (31/2 oz) breadcrumbs
Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
Eggplant cutlets: Method
- Soak the eggplant in water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In three separate dishes, place the flour, breadcrumbs and eggs.
- Drain the eggplants and pat dry with paper towel. Dip each eggplant slice in the flour, then the eggs and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the eggplant on the baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.