Pantesca vegan salad is a dish of beautiful memories for me.
Before visiting Pantelleria and enjoying this delicious Pantesca salad, made with care and love by the inhabitants of this small island in the Sicilian Archipelago, I thought this was one of many salads I was used to eating. The capers are the same ones that I use in all my recipes, the quality of my organic potatoes is always excellent, as is the rest of the ingredients. So why was the salad that I tasted in Pantelleria on a beautiful summer’s day, a few years ago, so special? “Because, here, the air and the ground are magical” was the answer of a friend of mine who has lived there for years.
A dish to try if you are lucky enough to visit this small paradise full of tasty food. At home, the result can still be rewarding if you buy Sicilian capers in an Italian specialty food shop.
Pantesca vegan salad: Ingredients
20 salted capers
10 black pitted olives
10 cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
Dried oregano, to taste
Pinch of sea salt
Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
Pantesca vegan salad: Method
- Rinse the capers to remove the salt, squeeze dry and set aside.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water. Once cooked, remove the skin and cut them into slices.
- Wash and cut the tomatoes into two halves. Cut the onion into rings.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients, season with oregano, a pinch of salt and extra virgin olive oil.
- Allow the ingredients to combine for a little while before serving.
From “The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen”