These lemon cookies are made with the renowned Sicilian PDO lemons from Syracuse.
In Italy, 90% of the national production of lemons comes from Sicily.
Among these the most widespread variety is that of the city of Syracuse. This variety of lemon is very fragrant and even juicier. It is a quality of lemons also required by cosmetic companies for its high quality of the essential oils.
These lemon cookies have a fresh and delicate taste, made even lighter by rice flour. Being gluten-free, rice flour is suitable for those who are intolerant and for those who love tasty sweets with alternative unrefined flours.
Lemon cookies: Ingredients
Serves about 15 cookies
200 g (7 ounces) white brown rice flour
Pinch of sea salt
The juice and peel of 1 organic lemon
100 g (3½ oz) light brown sugar
100 g (3½ oz) high quality unsalted butter, cold
2 large organic free range eggs
Lemon cookies: Method
- Mix the rice flour with pinch of salt and set aside.
- Whisk the juice and lemon zest in a food processor with the sugar.
- Add the butter and the eggs. Add the flour. Form a loaf and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry and cut the desired shapes.
- Bake, in preheated oven, at 180°C (350°/gas 4), for 15 minutes.