Chickpea and red onion bruschetta is a rustic Italian appetizer.
Italians, bread is an essential food. The rustic bread, made with high-quality flour, is the ingredient that makes a difference in this recipe. Usually, I only use dried legumes (pulses). However, sometimes, when I have to make a quick appetizer or snack, I choose organic chickpeas or beans in jar.
This chickpea and red onion bruschetta is made special by a great Sicilian extra virgin olive oil that enhances the taste of rustic bread.
Chickpea and red onion bruschetta: Ingredients
300 g (101/2 oz) chickpeas
1 red onion, sliced
chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, to taste
pinch of sea salt
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons tahini sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
extra virgin olive oil, to taste
4 rustic style bread slices
Chickpea and red onion bruschetta: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine the chickpeas, onion, parsley and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Combine the lemon juice, tahini sauce, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil in a separate bowl.
- Add to the chickpea mixture and toss gently to coat.
- Place the bread slices on the baking tray and bake for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the bread slices on a serving dish and top each slice with 1 tablespoon of the chickpea mixture. Serve immediately.