Fennel and pistachio salad is a crispy, fresh and very tasty idea, perfect for a corroborating, nutritious winter meal.
This vegetable has a reduced caloric content, is low in fat but very rich in fiber, mineral, salts, especially potassium, calcium and phosphorus, useful for strengthening the bones and to prevent cramps. It contains many vitamins, in particular vitamin A, essential to protect and maintain healthy skin and to regulate the functioning of the retina and vision; vitamin B for the proper functioning of the nervous system and the cardiovascular system, and Vitamin C, very important in the prevention of many diseases because it strengthens the immune system and has an effective antioxidant action.
It’s hard to think of salads in the cooler months that use seasonal produce and are still refreshing. This side dish, made with fennel, sesame seeds, pistachios and Parmigiano Reggiano is a great way to get your winter vegetables.
Fennel and pistachio salad: Ingredients
1 fennel bulb
3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
80 g (3 oz) Parmigiano Reggiano, flakes
2 tbsp Sicilian pistachios, chopped
Fennel and pistachio salad: Method
- Wash the fennel, remove the hard part of the core and cut into 4 pieces lengthwise (keeping the feet on the core).
- Slice, rinse and dry using a centrifuge salad spinner or just blot with a clean cloth.
- In a bowl, pour the oil, salt, pepper and sesame seeds, whisk with a fork and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the fennel and stir.
- Add the Parmigiano flakes and pistachios and serve.
From The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen