I love to serve this dairy free raspberry and almond cake with ice cream when raspberries are in season. These so special fruits, from the short season, give a delicate flavour to this cake and make it a very soft dough. Since in Sicily they are difficult to find, as soon as their season arrives, I love to freeze them to enjoy them for a few weeks more.
The berries are so beneficial that I love to consume them everywhere, even in cakes. I also like to add dried cranberries, when available, not only for the special taste but also because, like all rare food, they become a precious ingredient.
Raspberry and almond cake, as always made with organic and unrefined ingredients, is a delicious dessert, for an informal brunch or for tea time.
Dairy free raspberry and almond cake: Ingredients
4 tbsp mild extra virgin olive oil or 100 ml (3 ½ fl oz) organic cold-pressed sunflower oil
100 g (3½ oz) raw coconut sugar
50 ml (2 fl oz) brown rice milk
2 large organic free range eggs
300 g (11 oz) wholemeal (whole-wheat) organic flour, sifted
2 tbsp organic baking powder
50 g (2 oz) whole almonds, toasted and chopped
the zest of 1 lemon
Pinch of sea salt
100 g (3½oz) fresh raspberries
80 g (3 oz) dried cranberries (palm oil free)
100 g (3½ oz) sliced almonds
Dairy free raspberry and almond cake: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Mix the oil with sugar. Add the vegetable milk, egg yolks, flour, baking powder, almonds, lemon zest, a pinch of salt and mix with an electric mixer.
- Stir in the egg whites, raspberries and cranberries.
- Pour the mixture into a baking pan. Cover with the sliced almonds and bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.