Sugar free persimmon cake it’s a classic of my Autumn baking. I am very proud of this cake you also find in one of my books. It is one of my favorite sweet from my childhood. My mother prepared it with whole-wheat flour and a tablespoon of honey. As an adult, I prefer it sugar and bakimg powder free. The only sweetener in this cake are persimmons.
If you prefer a cake with baking powder, choose the organic one. Compared to chemical baking powder, the organic one does not contain aluminum or an additive such as disodium diphosphate (E450).
My sugar free persimmon cake, gives off a unique scent and remains slightly moist inside and expresses its full flavor and fragrance if eaten freshly baked or on the day.
Sugar free persimmon cake: Ingredients
150 g (5 oz) persimmon pulp
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or 8 tbsp organic cold-pressed sunflower oil)
Pinch of sea salt
Grated rind of half unwaxed lemon
2 tbsp organic sultanas
1 large free range organic egg
250 g (9 oz) whole-wheat flour, sifted
15 g (½ oz) organic baking powder
Sugar free persimmon cake: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Mix the persimmon pulp with oil, sea salt, lemon peel and sultanas (washed and dried).
- Add the egg and stir quickly. Sift the flour with the baking powder and mix.
- Add the dry mixture to the liquid ingredients and stir.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured pan and bake for 35 minutes.