Polenta cake is light, highly digestible, soft and with a moist texture. The eggs, beaten for at least five minutes, are the key to making the dough so soft. The melted white chocolate, mixed in the mixture with the electric whisk, gives a consistency similar to whipped cream. Without the chocolate glaze this cake is perfect for breakfast. With the chocolate glaze it becomes a delicious dessert for every occasion. The choice of flours (organic, stone ground and not refined) and unrefined sugars (coconut sugar, in this case), as I always suggest, is the key for tasty and healthy cakes.
Polenta cake: Ingredients
250 g whole wheat flour, sifted
50 g cornflour-cormeal, sifted
1 tsp organic baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
150 g (5 oz) white vanilla organic chocolate
2 large organic free range eggs, at warm temperature
80 ml organic raw coconut sugar
Pinch of sea salt
50 ml (2 fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil
50 ml brown rice milk (or other plant based milk)
100 g dark chocolate, 70% , melted
1 tbsp mixed dried fruit, palm oil free
Polenta cake: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180° (350°/Gas 4).
- Mix the flours with baking powder and ground cinnamon.
- Melt the white chocolate in a bain-marie.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the coconut sugar and the pinch of salt.
- Add the oil, plant based milk and mix well. Add the melted white chocolate and flour, little by little. You will have to get a very creamy and light mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a cake tin, lined with parchment paper and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once cooled, pour the melted dark chocolate and decorate with dried fruit to taste.