Healthy rustic apple cake has the crunchiness of a cookie (biscuit), the inside of the dough moist, thanks to the apples and the moisture released by them.
Apple cakes have a special magic because they are one of those simple, timeless desserts of which everyone has their own recipe.
This healthy rustic apple cake has a texture that resembles that of short pastry, due to the toasted hazelnut and almond flours that make the inside soft and the edges crisp.
The choice of sugar, Demerara, is not accidental. It is a not very refined sugar which gives a light golden color to this cake with an intense aroma and a delicate taste.
A healthy, rustic and dairy free cake, ideal for any occasion, also as a dessert with fresh cream or ice cream.
Healthy rustic apple cake: Ingredients
the juice of one lemon
200 g (7 oz) whole wheat flour, sifted
50 g (2 oz) toasted hazelnut flour
50 g (2 oz) toasted almond flour
1 tsp organic baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 organic free range egg
Pinch of sea salt
80 g (3 oz) Demerara sugar
80 ml (3 fl oz) almond milk, unsweetened
80 ml (3 fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil
Healthy rustic apple cake: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Wash and cut the apples into cubes, removing the peel. Roll out the apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- Mix the flours with baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a bowl, beat the egg with sugar, milk and oil. Pour the dry ingredients into the liquid bowl and mix. Add the apples.
- Pour the mixture into a cake tin, lined with parchment paper, and add a sprinkling of demerara sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes.