Gluten free quinoa banana bread is the cake of wellness.
Quinoa is quite far from European culture, although, in recent years, it has become very popular. I favor local flours, simply because they are fresh as they do not face long journeys in ship containers. Sometimes, I make exceptions. I make this delicious gluten free banana bread with whole quinoa flour. From a nutritional point of view, quinoa (and its flour) is one of the most complete plants because it contains all the essential amino acids. For this reason, it is widely used in the Andean regions (Latin America) where it comes from.
The natives considered it a sacred plant and called it “mother of all seeds” or “rice of the Incas”. Quinoa is not a grain but a plant that grows between 3,500 and 4,000 meters in height. It is one of the keys to this special recipe. Sweetened with orange honey, it is perfect to be soaked in milk.
Gluten free quinoa banana bread: Ingredients
1 organic free range egg
50 ml (2 fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
50 ml (2 fl oz) coconut milk
5 tbsp raw honey (or dates syrup)
Pinch of sea salt
200 g (7 oz) organic whole grain quinoa flour
100 g (3½ oz) brown rice flour
2 tsp organic baking powder
Gluten free quinoa banana bread: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Peel, cut the bananas and mash with a fork until they are pureed.
- Pour the bananas into a bowl. Add the egg, oil, coconut milk, honey and blend with an electric whisk.
- Add the flours, sifted, baking powder and mix.
- Pour the dough into the mold and cook for 30 minutes.