The secret of these vegan cocoa and coconut cookies? Dark chocolate dissolved in the dough that gives a very special texture. Ideal for breakfast or dessert, they are soft and gently sweet enough to make everyone happy.
Of course, extra virgin olive oil (in this case, mild extra virgin olive oil) is one the secret which makes these cookies special also perfect as a dessert. Don’t be reluctant to use olive oil for sweet preparations. Delicate olive oils will surprise you with the wonderful texture (and nourishment) they will give to your desserts.
As for the flours, you can give space to your imagination and your tastes. If you follow my recipes you already know that organic and unrefined are the best choice you can make.
Cocoa and coconut flour are always a winning combination and, in this case, the coconut also gives a freshness that goes well with the intensity of dark chocolate.
Egg-free cookies (biscuits) are kept longer than traditional one and, of course, they are suitable for everyone.
Vegan cocoa and coconut cookies: Ingredients
Makes about 20 cookies
150 ml (5 fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp dates syrup
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp raw cocoa powder
100 ml (3½ fl) coconut milk
150 ml (5 fl oz) dark melted chocolate, 70%
200 g (7 oz) wholemeal Farro flour
200 g (7 oz) brown rice flour
50 g (5 oz) coconut flour
1 tbsp organic baking powder
2 tbsp coconut flakes
Vegan cocoa and coconut cookies: Method
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl, emulsify the oil with date syrup, sugar, cocoa and coconut milk.
- Add the flours and baking powder. Mix and form a compact dough.
- Take small parts of the mixture and create balls. Place the cookies on the baking sheet.
- Flatten the balls, and sprinkle some coconut flakes. Bake for 15 minutes.