COL D’ORCIA – TUSCANY – ITALY
Col d’Orcia is one of the historic companies of Montalcino. Today’s lineage dates back to at least 1890, the date on which official documents show that the Franceschi family, originally from Florence, bought the property.
The brothers Leopoldo and Stefano Franceschi inherited the property and, consequently, divided their parts in 1958.
The conditions of the separation prohibited both from using the pre-existing name Fattoria di Sant’Angelo in Colle. Leopoldo Franceschi baptized his estate Il Poggione, the land where the homonymous winery is still located today.
Later Stefano Franceschi was related, by marriage, to the royal family of the then future King of Spain Juan Carlos. He and his wife had no children and, in 1973, Stefano Franceschi sold his property to the Cinzano family from Piedmont. The Cinzano family was already active in the trade of liqueurs, and took advantage of the already extensive sales network to market the first thousandths (vintages, harvests) of Col d’Orcia.
In 1992, the son of Count A. Marone Cinzano, Francesco took over the presidency of the company, continuing to extend the vines up to today’s 140 hectares, of which 108 are destined for the production of Brunello, make Col d’Orcia the third producer of Brunello in Montalcino.
In recent years, Count Francesco Marone Cinzano has overseen a gradual and quiet conversion to biodynamic agriculture.
Owner: Francesco Marone Cinzano
Oenological management: Antonio Tranchida
Agronomic management: Giuliano Dragoni
Viticulture: certified organic
Vineyard hectares: 142
Bottles produced: 800,000
Direct sales: yes
Visits to the company: yes
Oil production: yes
Foundation year: 1933
The Wolf Post is free, always without paid content.
It is supported by a non-profit Association.
Yet, your contribution would also be a sign of appreciation for our work.