The Wolf Post offers a professional service with free access, without subscription.
For this reason, a donation would also be a sign of appreciation for our work.
This rustic apple cake has all the taste of organic apples in season. Be careful not to be seduced by the shiny, perfect apples, available in supermarkets. Demand the most for your health. Go in search of true fruit, maybe less attractive at first glance, but still juicy. The lightness of the greek yoghurt and mild EVOO give the dough a special texture. Wholemeal (whole-wheat) and almond flours, rich in nutrients, enhance the flavour of a timeless classic, which lends itself to many tasty but healthy variations.
As a match we suggest Alice Extra Dry 2021 by Le Vigne di Alice. Appreciated for: Hints of fresh white flowers such as hawthorn and acacia. Followed by hints of white-fleshed fruit reminiscent of green apple and thigh pear. For the full recipe click here.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 3 apples
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons Greek yoghurt (or vegan yoghurt)
- 50 ml EVOO (or 75 ml oz cold-pressed organic sunflower oil)
- 60 g raw coconut sugar
- 200 g wholemeal (wholewheat) flour, sifted
- 100 g almond flour, sifted
- 15 g organic baking powder
- 1 teaspoon organic bourbon vanilla powder
- 100 ml vegetable drink
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Line a pan with baking paper.
- Roughly chop the apples, drizzle them with the lemon juice and set aside.
- In a bowl, hisk the yoghurt, EVOO and coconut sugar until frothy.
- Add the flours with the baking powder, vanilla, milk, salt and knead the ingredients until combined.
- Pour the batter into the tin and add the apples on top.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes, or until lightly golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.