BARONE CORNACCHIA – ABRUZZO – ITALY
The Barone Cornacchia Farm has an ancient tradition that has its roots at the end of the 16th century, when the Cornacchia family received, from the King of Naples, the baronial title (Baroni di Poggio Varano and CASANOVA) and the task, typical of the feudal order of the time, to control the vast fiefdoms that extended around the Fortress of Civitella, on the borderland of the Bourbon Kingdom.
With the unity of Italy, loyal to the Bourbons, Cornacchia abandoned the palace in the Fortress, retreating to an estate in Torri (Abruzzo Region), a small village now home to the family and company headquarters. This property has always shown its vocation for viticulture because it is characterized by hills with excellent exposure, stony limestone soil and an ideal microclimate, thanks to its proximity to the Adriatic Sea and the Gran Sasso d’Italia.
At the beginning of the 1900s, Baron Filippo Vizzarro Cornacchia, a passionate winemaker, chose this exceptional area to resume and pass on the ancient winemaking tradition.
Ownership: Filippo and Caterina Cornacchia
Oenological management: Filippo Cornacchia and advice from Goffredo Agostini
Agronomic management: Filippo and Caterina Cornacchia
Vineyard hectares: 54
Bottles produced 250,000
Direct sales: yes
Visits to the company: yes
Foundation year: early 1900s on an old family property (from 1488)