Northern and Southern Italy marry wonderfully in this iconic dish.
Orecchiette are the typical Apulian pasta, ideal for holding the various sauces with which it can be seasoned. It is available both fresh and dry, made with durum wheat semolina and is great when eaten with seasonal broccoli. Pecorino is the finishing touch to enhance this simple but very tasteful dish.
The tradition of the South expresses its flavors best when accompanied by the iconic Northern Italian wine from the historic Friulian winery Zorzettig: Friuli Colli Orientali I Fiori di Leonie MYÒ 2019. One of the company’s flagship wines, obtained with Pinot Bianco, Sauvignon, Friulano is “Perfectly balanced in its parts. Freshness and acidity invite you to repeat the sip. Persistent with a peach aftertaste. A traditional white wine, which tells the story of the territory and its people”.
Ingredients (Serves 4) for Orecchiette with broccoli and Pecorino cheese
- 500 g (17 oz) broccoli
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- ground pepper, to taste
- 320 g (11 ¼ oz) dry orecchiette pasta
- Grated pecorino cheese, to taste
- Cut the broccoli, eliminating the hardest parts, and steam cook, keeping them al dente.
- Cut the onion and let it brown in a pan with a little EVOO. Add the broccoli florets, salt, pepper to taste and mix for a few minutes.
- Cook the orecchiette pasta al dente,in boiling salted water. Drain and mix with the broccoli.
- Add the Pecorino and serve immediately.