TE MATA ESTATE 1896 – NEW ZEALAND
Te Mata Estate originally part of Te Mata Station, a large pastoral landholding founded by an English immigrant, John Chambers, in 1854.
After returning from France, the third son of John Chambe, he planted three vineyards in the north-facing hills around Havelock North. Today, Tenuta Te Mata still uses those same three vineyards.
In 1919, the Chambers family sold the property. Te Mata Vineyards (TMV) was founded and the property had two other owners until, in 1974, it was acquired by the Buck and Morris families.
All Te Mata Estate wines are produced exclusively from Hawke’s Bay vineyards.
First planted in 1892, Te Mata has five sites on these free-draining, north-facing slopes. The soils to the east are mostly sandy loamy over a sandstone base, and westward are sandy loamy over a thin clay bed and silica pan. The characteristic shape of the hills is due to their relative youth, in geological terms. At the meeting point of two tectonic plates, the sandstone was uplifted and then consumed relatively quickly, leaving a landscape of steep, gentle slopes and terraces ideal for growing vines.