BADIA A COLTIBUONO – TUSCANY – ITALY
The history of the Badia a Coltibuono winery begins in 1846, when the Florentine banker Michele Giuntini bought the structure and the surrounding farms. It was inherited by Maria Luisa Stucchi Giuntini in the 1930s, and was managed by her until, in the 1950s, her son, Piero Stucchi Prinetti, joined his mother at the head of the company.
Piero began to bottle and sell, on the national and international market, the best vintages of Chianti Classico of the estate.
The company converted to organic farming in 1985, a very courageous choice at that time, which became definitive with certification of the whole company in 2000.
The vineyards are located in the Monti area, the southernmost one of the municipality of Gaiole, which has always been home to the vineyards of Badia a Coltibuono.
The cellar, built in 1997, as a modern fortress, respecting the landscape and paying attention to environmental sustainability, was built to enhance the characteristics and uniqueness of the wines. There, the grapes are processed by gravity, delicate pistons optimize the extraction with punching down. The fermentation is with indigenous yeasts, coming from the grapes themselves and the maturation still takes place in the historic cellars of the Badia a Coltibuono in oak barrels.
Owner: Famiglia Stucchi Prinetti
Oenological management: Roberto Stucchi Prinetti
Agronomic management: Sergio Lo Jacono
Vineyard hectares: 63
Bottles produced: 220.000
Direct sales: yes
Visits to the company: yes
EVOO production: yes
Foundation year: 1051
The Wolf Post is free, always without paid content.
It is supported by a Cultural Association.
Yet, your contribution would also be a sign of appreciation for our work.